Scotland Will Host 2024 World Rugby U20 Trophy
World Rugby today confirmed that Scotland will host the 2024 World Rugby U20 Trophy tournament from 2-17 July 2024.
The U20 Trophy will be contested by eight teams which includes the participation of Hong Kong China Rugby who were the regional winners in 2023, and Japan who were relegated from the U20 Championship.
World Rugby Chairman, Sir Bill Beaumont said of the U20 Trophy and U20 Championship (to be held in South Africa), “South Africa and Scotland will be fantastic hosts and provide ideal conditions for the 20 best U20 teams in the world to perform and I would like to thank our two member unions for taking up the hosting challenge.
I am convinced many of the talented young players featuring in these competitions will leave their mark, not only on these two tournaments but also on international rugby later down the line.”
Spain won the U20 Trophy tournament in Kenya in 2023 and the tournament in Scotland will be played over four match days at Hive Stadium in Edinburgh.
World Rugby U20 Championship 2024 Teams
Scottish Rugby’s Performance Director Jim Mallinder said: “Scotland is looking forward to hosting the World Rugby U20 Trophy 2024 in July and welcoming teams from around the world to Edinburgh for what will no doubt be a keenly contested tournament.
International rugby has been played at Hive Stadium, home of Edinburgh Rugby, since it was finished in 2021 and we believe it will be a great venue for players and fans during the competition.”
The World Rugby U20 Trophy 2024 will see eight teams fight for promotion to the Championship in 2025.
Five teams are already confirmed, but three nations must still qualify via regional competitions in Africa, North America and Oceania.
- Japan (relegated from the U20 Championship in 2023)
- Scotland (hosts)
- Hong Kong China (Asia)
- Netherlands (Europe)
- Uruguay (South America)
- Africa – still to be confirmed – winner of the U20 Barthés Trophy
- North America – still to be confirmed – winner of a play-off between Canada and USA.
- Oceania – still to be confirmed (Samoa and Tonga will meet in the Oceania play-off on 8 March in Auckland, New Zealand to determine who qualifies.
Scotland – World Rugby U20 Championship 2024 Pools
The two Asian teams, Japan and HKCR, find themselves in Pool A with the hosts, while the Netherlands are debutants in the tournament in Pool B and will face Uruguay.
- Pool A – Scotland, Japan, Hong Kong China and the Oceania qualifier.
- Pool B – Netherlands, Uruguay and qualified teams from Africa and North America.
The age-grade tournament is a key part of the international federation’s investment in increasing the competitiveness of global rugby by providing a meaningful pathway to the elite level for talented young players said World Rugby.
World Rugby U20 Trophy 2024 Schedule & Venue
All four match days of the U2o Trophy tournament will be played at Hive Stadium in Edinburgh which has a capacity of 7,800 and is the home of Edinburgh Rugby and located next to Murrayfield Stadium.
Pool Matches – 2024 World Rugby U20 Trophy
- Matchday 1: Tuesday, 2 July 2024
- Matchday 2: Sunday 7, July 2024
- Matchday 3: Friday 12, July 2024
Final & Ranking Matches – 2024 World Rugby U20 Trophy
- Matchday 4: Wednesday 17th July 2024
2024 Rugby Tournaments
- Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 2024 Week – Ultimate Fan Guide.
- World Rugby HSBC Sevens Challenger 2024 Montevideo Pools.
- JRFU Fixtures 2024 – Brave Blossoms, Japan XV, Sakura XV.
- Melrose Shield Competition Confirmed For 2024 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens.