Asian Rugby Exchange Fest 2019
There are a number of additional rugby events and tournaments being announced leading up to RWC 2019 in Japan, and the Asian Rugby Echange Fest is another one that has popped up, targeting youth rugby in Asia. The tournament is for Under 14 boys who will be coached in X-Rugby and play a tournament at the end of the festival.
What is the Asian Rugby Exchange Fest 2019?
The Japan Rugby Football Union sent out invitations to Asia Rugby Members inviting teams to participate in the 2nd Asian Rugby Exchange Fest. The event is supported by Impact Beyond and it will be held in Fukuoka, Japan, while the Rugby World Cup takes place.
The tournament website says of the rugby festival:
“Will Be Held As The First Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Tournament Legacy Program To Be Held In Asia. We Will Exchange And Development In Asia Level Of Youth that aims to rugby spread and development and the World Congress of the Asian region through the tournament.”
In October 2018, the first edition of the rugby tournament was held. Teams from Japan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Chinese Taipei and Macau were involved.
Who will play at Asian Rugby Exchange Fest 2019
Only U14 rugby teams were invited from member unions to the Rugby Exchange Fest. The eligibility of players and teams are as follows:
- 12 players (U14).
- Males born between 2 April 2005 and 1 April 2007, who have been recommended by their
the national governing body (union), which should be a member of Asia Rugby.
- Up to 3 coaches.
- Malaysia 1
- Malaysia 2
- Fukuoka 1
- Fukuoka 2
- Fukuoka 3
- Fukuoka 4
- 26 Sept: Rugby World Cup Pool Match: Italy v Canada in Fukuoka
- 27 Sept: X-Rugby Course and Rugby Clinic
- 28-29 Sept: X-Rugby Exchange Tournament
World Rugby says that X-Rugby is meant to offer:
- An adapted format of the game played on a half-pitch with reduced intensity contact.
- Designed to introduce new players to the game and retain those at risk of dropping out.
- Seven-a-side, easy to organise and offering fun and fitness.
- Date: Thursday 26 – Monday 30 September 2019
- Venue: The Sanix Global Arena Stadium, Fukuoka, Japan
Read about other rugby tournaments happening in Asia during the Rugby World Cup 2019.