Bangkok International Rugby Sevens 2021
The organisers of the Bangkok International Rugby Sevens 2021 have announced they are still looking to go ahead with this year’s tournament despite the COVID-19 situation.
On July 5, 2021, on a statement online the organisers said they were continuing with their plans for a November 2021 tournament with the final date to be announced.
“We will all need to adhere to a number of Covid conditions should the tournament proceed”, these include:
- All attendees will have to show documented proof of two vaccinations for COVID-19.
- All attendees must have a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of departing their home country and the test result must be supplied to the Tournament organisers.
- All attendees must wear masks when not playing.
- There will be no pre-match or post-match function.
- There will be no spectators – If you are not aligned to a team as a Player, Manager or Coach then entry will be denied.
- All Teams must supply a team card with a photo ID matching each team attendee.
It would sound to us, that not many teams will fly in from overseas with these rules and restrictions but even for Thai-based rugby 7s teams it would be interesting to see the uptake.
Importantly these key requirements are still being finalised
- Location of the Tournament
- Government approval – at all levels
- Location of the Hotel
- Transport within Thailand
November 2021 is already a congested month of rugby in Asia, with the Phuket Tens, Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens, Asia Rugby Trophy Sevens, Asia Rugby Sevens Series second leg and more.