Furious 5s Rugby 2020
A new rugby union tournament in Singapore, called Furious 5s Rugby, has been announced. The first event of the 5-a-side rugby tournament is due to take place on May 16th 2020.
There will be women’s and men’s teams at Furious 5s rugby.
What is Furious 5s Rugby?
We assume the rugby festival is based on Rugby X. The idea of 5s rugby is to have a focus on basic rugby skills and creating more flow.
Some of the key laws in 5s rugby to take note of are:
- Games are 5 vs 5 players.
- Unlimited replacements are allowed.
- 10-minute games.
- The field size is only approximately 44m by 60m.
In the event of a draw, a 2 vs 2 player tiebreaker is played.
How do you register for Furious 5s?
On the Furious 5s website, they say that you can join the mailing list now, but registration for teams will likely open up in March.
Regarding entry fees, the organisers say “Yes there will be a fee to defray the costs of running the tournament (e.g. venue, officials & pitch-side medical coverage).” A minimum number of at least 5 players and a maximum of 10 players must be in each team.
What is Rugby X?
Rugby X was invented by Ben Ryan (former Fiji Olympic gold medal-winning 7s rugby coach) as a variant of rugby sevens. It was launched on 29 October 2019 with six international rugby teams in The O2 Arena, London.
- 5 points per try without conversions, drop goals or penalties.
- Kick-offs are replaced by tap starts on the 5m line.
- Chip kicks allowed but not box kicks, up and unders or any kick over 10m in height.
- Line outs are replaced by quick throws.
- There are only three-persons per scrums with no pushing and hooking is allowed.
You can find out more about the rules of Rugby X used here.
- Venue: TBC, Singapore
- Date: 16th May 2020
Rugby in Asia 2020
- Rapid Rugby 2020 includes 3 Asian teams.
- HK hosts Women and Girls Rugby Conference 2020.
- How has Coronavirus affected rugby in Asia?
- Simon Manixx is the Singapore Rugby head coach.