FIT cancels or postpones 2020 Touch tournaments
The FIT (Federation of International Touch) cancels or postpones remaining 2020 Touch tournaments due to COVID-19, which includes the Asian Touch Cup (due to be held in China), and the 2020 Asian Club Championships (Philippines).
Touch tournaments affected in 2020
A statement on the FIT website said the following:
Further to our earlier statements, the FIT Board can now confirm that all unplayed Tier 1, 2, and 3 events that had been scheduled for 2020 have now been either cancelled or postponed.
- In agreement with the host nation, China, we have postponed the 2020 Asian Touch Cup. We will review the situation in July 2020 to decide if we will reschedule the tournament in 2021.
- In agreement with the host nation, the Philippines, we have cancelled the 2020 Asian Club Championships.
We fully support the decision Touch Football Australia and Touch NZ to indefinitely postpone the Trans Tasman series.
- We fully support the decision of the European Federation of Touch to postpone the 2020 European Championships and cancel the 2020 European Junior Touch Championships.
- We have suspended all international travel by FIT personnel (including board and commission members) until further notice.
- We will not endorse any international series to occur for the remainder of 2020 until further notice and we will continue to review the situation for events being planned for 2021.
They added that “FIT recommends that all member nations review their own travel policy and all available data to determine if they endorse the activities of their athletes and officials.”
Rugby, Touch and Tag in Asia
- Read our interview with referees from SEARR.Net
- HK and Japan may enter the ITF Tag Confed Cup 2020.
- The best and worst rugby movies and documentaries.
- How has Coronavirus affected rugby in Asia?