Full Guide To All 2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens Events
It’s exciting (and exhausting) to write up a full guide on all of the fantastic events surrounding the 2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens. It’s long overdue but the nearly two dozen events are a concrete sign the Sevens are back in Hong Kong and we can’t wait to see the local and international crowds descend on the city for the Sevens Week with rugby charity dinners, long lunches and events with the 7s teams, former legends and more from 28 March – 2 April 2023.
The Hong Kong Sevens theme in 2023 is Play On!, and rugby fans across the city (and the globe) are set to come out and play to see the 28 international 7s teams, including the home national 7 men and women together for the first time in history play at the Hong Kong Stadium.
We have tried to compile the most comprehensive list available but more are likely to be added with the exact details for some still to be confirmed.
In addition, the commercial sponsors and HSBC Sport often hold additional events and Brian Hui, Head of Customer Propositions and Marketing, Wealth and Personal Banking, Hong Kong, HSBC, said: “HSBC has been a proud sponsor of the Hong Kong Sevens for decades.
The tournament has always had a very special place in our corporate calendar. With quarantine-free travel and relaxation of most COVID measures, our global leaders will convene in Hong Kong this March and celebrate our international connections with customers. We look forward to experiencing a bigger and better Hong Kong Sevens in 2023.”
Updated 28 March 2023
Hong Kong Sevens 2023 Experience
There is plenty of live music and entertainment for the three days of the sevens.
- Cantonese Hong Kong pop star Joyce Cheng will perform as part of the opening ceremony on Friday 31 March.
- 30 members of the PLK ONE23 Dance Troupe will be performing a dance routine specially choreographed for the Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens on the Friday opening.
- Belgian pop star, Plastic Bertrand, whose famous anthemic Ca Plane Pour Moi has been downloaded 81 million times on Spotify!
- South Korea’s DJ Soda is on the decks on Sevens Sunday – she has 4.9 million followers on Instagram and has a signature “flute dance”.
- Ska band, The Red Stripes, will return to kick off the party on Saturday
- Throughout the weekend, Sevens’ resident DJs, the Two Simons (Southgate and Willison), and Ben Cullen will keep the crowd entertained.
Hong Kong’s rugby teams and Minis will once again hold their traditional march past, while “Buddy Rugby”, which brings together students from mainstream and special education schools using rugby & dance – “to break down prejudice and build understanding and friendship” as the HKRU Community Foundation supported programme marks its fifth anniversary in 2023.
The HKRU Hysan 7s Youth Tournament Finals (Girls & Boys) are also due to be played at the HK Stadium on Friday 31st March 10-12 PM. The HKRU said “Each team in the final has earned the right to play at the Hong Kong Stadium during the HK7s weekend. This is a massive opportunity for all players to showcase their talent.”
The famed ‘Rugby Week in Hong Kong” sees the return of an absolutely packed calendar of corporate events and dinners which will see special guests and Sevens rugby teams in attendance.
2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens Ambassadors
Ten ambassadors have been announced for the 2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens. Many of them will be involved in the events leading up to the weekend of the actual sevens, such as at the Tradition HKFC 10s, as well as charity/corporate/business chamber and other functions.
Former and current rugby players who will make an appearance this year include:
- DJ Forbes (NZ)
- Christy Cheng (Hong Kong China)
- Rochelle ‘Rocky’ Clark (England)
- Jim Hamilton (Scotland)
- Greig Laidlaw (Scotland)
- Jamie Roberts (Wales)
- Jodie Ounsley (England)
- Kevin Maggs (Ireland)
- Kelly Brown (Scotland)
- Nick Easter (England)
HSBC will often also have their own ambassadors for the weekend, in addition to those announced by the Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens
HSBC’s World Rugby Sevens Series Ambassadors & The World of Opportunity Programme
HSBC is bringing a star team of ambassadors to the Sevens in Hong Kong in 2023 which includes
- Nolli Waterman – England
- Brian O’Driscoll – Ireland
- Abby Gustaitis – USA
- Alicia Quirk – Australia
- Bryan Habana – South Africa (TBC)
HSBC will be creating a short film with ambassador and former Sevens star Nolli Waterman about the importance of Hong Kong for Sevens, the inclusion of the women’s game, as well as her personal experiences from Hong Kong and the work HSBC has done to introduce parity across the circuit.
The ambassadors will again be working with local youths as part of The World of Opportunity Programme, focussing on those looking to get into sport off the pitch.
Hong Kong Sevens Digital Collectibles 2023
At the Hong Kong Sevens in 2022, the Hong Kong Sevens Digital Collectibles were introduced, and those who signed up last year have been airdropped free digital collectables for the 2023 Hong Kong Sevens.
If you buy them this year, you have the chance to win tickets for the 2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens – NuArca who designs and manages the collectables said, “introducing a fresh design of the team crest cards, plus each crest card pack will include a “Super Sevens” card for special prizes. You’ll also see collectable packs for the Hong Kong China teams.
There are other prizes too based on competitions among fans such as discounted merchandise, free tickets to the tournament, VIP seating upgrades, and more.
- Sign up today to receive a free commemorative Wai Bei collectable.
Tuesday 28th March 2023 – Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens Week
GB Team Welcome Drinks – HK 7s 2023
The Hong Kong St. Andrews Society is holding an official Team GB welcome, saying: “Join us and our esteemed guests as Team GB prepares to take on the Sevens world in Hong Kong. Tickets are LIMITED so get in early to secure your place! Each ticket is inclusive of a donation to the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation.”
- Venue: Jardine House
- Date: March 28th 2023 – 6:30-8:30 PM
Bula Dinner- Fiji Rugby Sevens – Hong Kong 2023
The Fiji Chamber of Commerce – HK is organising the traditional Bula Dinner and has said “Don’t miss your chance on meeting both Fiji Men and Women teams! Get your photos and learn about their culture!”
In addition to hosting both HSBC World Rugby Sevens tea,s there will also be a Q&A with Rugby World Cup 7s winner Tom Isaacs and the teams.
- Venue: HKFC Happy Valley
- Date: March 28th 2023 – 6:30-11 PM
The Fiji Chamber is also running a chance to win a newly issued collectable Fiji 7 Dollars banknote.
An evening with Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton – HK Sevens 2023
- Venue: Suite 2 – 2/F Hong Kong Football Club, 3 Sports Road
- Date: March 28th 2023 8:30-10:30 pm
Further details for these events are not yet known.*
- Star Ferry Welcome Drinks – Invited guests only
- Hong Kong Club Dinner – Members & Guests
- US Consulate Drinks – Invited guests only
- Australian Consulate Drinks – Invited guests only
Wednesday 29th March 2023 – Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong 7s
Tradition HKFC 10s 2023 Day #1
The popular pre-HK sevens tournament, the HKFC Tens returns for the first time in more than three years with a new title sponsor and for the first time – a women’s division!
The Tradition HKFC Tens 2023 already has confirmed some invitational sides including 2019 runners-up Samurai International, two-time finalists Tradition YCAC, Hong Kong Football Club, HK Scottish Exiles, Overseas Old Boys, China Five Stars, and Seventise Rugby for the Men.
Women’s teams include the HKFC Natixis Ice & Tokyo Sankyu Phoenix.
All funds from ticket sales will go to Laureus Sport for Good programme.
- Venue: Hong Kong Football Club
- Date: March 29-30th 2023
Doddie Weir Dinner – Hong Kong Rugby 7s “Greatest Rugby Dinner in the World”
HKRU is hosting a fantastic event “to support a very special celebration of the life of Doddie Weir and the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation in search of treatments for MND.”
The Union says “We expect the usual – a night filled with raucous laughter, guest appearances, fond memories, and plenty of whiskies. Limited table options are available now”.
- Venue: Grand Hyatt
- Date: March 29th 2023
Irish Chamber Dinner 2023 – Hong Kong Sevens Week
The event will be hosted at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club and attended by guest of honour, Kevin Maggs, former Irish Rugby Union player and scout for the IRFU Ireland National Rugby Union team.
Organisers said, “the event promises to be a great opportunity to mingle whilst enjoying dinner with a spectacular view overlooking Victoria Harbour!”
- Venue: The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
- Tickets: Individuals – HKD 1200, Sponsored tables of 12 – HKD 18000
- Date & Time: March 29th 2023 7-11 PM
SA Association (SAAHK) – Sevens Rugby Dinner 2023
SA Association Dinner will feature the South African national rugby sevens team, the Blitzboks as well as legendary former Springbok Rugby World Cup winner Victor Matfield as guest speaker.
The SAAHK said, “Guests will enjoy a proudly South African evening in the company of the Blitzboks team, our inspiring speaker, entertainment by South African singer Eli Zaelo, and great South African meat and wine.”
Funds will be raised for Ons Plek – a home for abused and disadvantaged young girls sleeping on the streets of Cape Town in South Africa. SAAHK has also donated a portion of the proceeds to local charities in Hong Kong and this year’s Sevens Dinner funds will again be donated to these deserving charities.
- Venue: Hong Kong Football Club
- Date: March 29th 2023 /18:30
- NZ Consulate Drinks 2023 – Rugby 7s – Invited guests only*
*Details for these events are not yet known.
Thursday 30th March 2023 – Sevens Week HK
Tradition HKFC 10s – Day #2 Finals Day!
- Date: March 29-30th 2023
- Venue: Hong Kong Football Club
18th Annual KPMG BritCham Rugby Dinner 2023
The British Chamber of Commerce (BritCham) is organising its regular BritCham & KPMG Rugby Dinner “for another memorable evening celebrating the HKFC 10s Cup Finals and the start of the Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens at the Hong Kong Football Club.”
This is the 18th time this dinner is being organised and they promise some “amazing rugby legends from both the men’s and women’s game” while HKRU CEO Robbie McRobbie will be returning as the guest MC.
“Like in previous years, you will be in the company of some amazing rugby legends from both Men’s and Women’s rugby” they added; with Greig Laidlaw, Jamie Roberts, Jodie Ounsley all confirmed.
The fundraising event will support local charities – Hong Kong Rugby Union Community Foundation (HKRUCF) and HandsOn Hong Kong.
- Venue: HKFC
- Date & Time: Thursday 30th March 2023 – 8-11:30 PM
HKU Sandy Bay HK Sevens Dinner 2023
The Hong Kong-based club is set to host its dinner on 30th March with the club saying “Once again, we are back to the Millions at the Happy Valley Racecourse, overlooking the beautiful Hong Kong city skyline on the evening of 30th March 2023.”
Guests including Jim Hamilton and NZ XVs & 7s star Ruby Tui (World Cup winner RWC 2021) will be joining as their first-ever lady speaker of the event – with Moses Bailey as the MC of the evening.
Prizes for a donation draw and a silent auction to raise funds for the club and charities have been organised.
- Venue: Happy Valley Racecourse
- Date & Time: Thursday 30th March 2023 – 7-11PM
Kowloon RugbyFest Dinner 2023
There is sadly no Kowloon RugbyFest Tens in 2023 but the Kowloon RugbyFest dinner is happening with the hosts promising “an action-packed evening of entertainment, led by our own RugbyFest MC David “Tricky” Trick. We’ve also lined up a number of international rugby legends to share stories from their playing careers which are sure to bring a smile to your face.”
The guest speakers are confirmed to be: David Trick, Scott Hastings, Andy Nicol & Dan Norton.
Proceeds from the evening will go directly to fund the Kowloon Cares initiatives, supporting community groups throughout HK.
- Venue: Chiu Chow Restaurant, G/F Lippo Centre, Admiralty
- Date & Time: Thursday 30th March 2023 – 7 -11 PM
AustCham Commonwealth Bank Rugby Sevens Lunch 2023
AustCham HK will be holding the Commonwealth Bank Rugby Sevens Lunch, saying that the event will “feature Australian players from Hong Kong Seven’s reigning champions from the Men’s team and 2022 Series champions from the Women’s team, as well as a legend of Australian rugby, Matt Giteau. This is Matt’s first public appearance since his official retirement from rugby in February this year.”
- Venue: Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
- Date & Time: Thursday 30th March 2023 11:30 AM-3 PM
HKRU/Laureus/NZ Consulate Value of Sport Luncheon – HK Sevens 2023
The Hong Kong Rugby Union & New Zealand Consulate General, together with Sino Group host an invite-only event which will feature four guest speakers – Sir Chris Hoy, Daley Thompson, Jodie Ounsley and DJ Forbes.
- Sir Chris Hoy – Eleven-time world champion and six-times Olympic champion, who has a total of seven Olympic medals, six gold and one silver – the second most decorated Olympic cyclist of all time.
- Daley Thompson – With four world records, two Olympic gold medals, three Commonwealth titles, and wins in the World and European Championships – Daley went unbeaten in competition for nine years and is considered one of the greatest athletes of all time.
- DJ Forbes – New Zealand’s most capped Sevens Rugby player, he captained the team to six World Series titles and claimed a gold medal at the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Jodie Ounsley – Curemt England 7s and Exeter Chiefs player, formerly UK Young Deaf Sports Personality of the Year, Jodie was also British Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champion and represented the UK in athletics at the Deaf Olympics.
- Venue: The Fullerton Ocean Park Hotel
- Date & Time: Thursday 30th March 2023 12-2:30 PM
Friday 31st March 2023 – 2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens Events
Carbine Club Rugby Lunch
Christina Noble Children’s Foundation – Ladies Long Lunch HK 7s 2023
The Christina Noble Children’s Foundation is hosting the Ladies Long Lunch at the Hong Kong Sevens 2023, saying: “After 3 rollercoaster years we are delighted to announce that the Christina Noble Children’s Foundation Ladies’ Long Lunch returns to top billing on the Hong Kong Rugby 7s calendar of festivities.”
Charities in Vietnam and Mongolia are set to benefit.
- Venue: Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Date & Time: Friday 31st March 2023 – 12:30-3:30 PM
Valley RFC Long Lunch – Hong Kong Sevens 2023
The 23rd Valley RFC Long Lunch is again happening on Friday and over the years the event has raised over USD $5m for children’s charities in Asia and four organisations are set to benefit this year.
The 2023 edition has confirmed the guests are:
- Eric Rush (New Zealand)
- Simon Shaw (England)
- Victor Matfield (South Africa)
- Sir Andrew Strauss (England Cricket)
“A great way to start the Hong Kong Rugby 7s weekend. A sumptuous 3-course lunch with free-flowing drinks and curated wines. Speakers and entertainers from across the rugby spectrum with the intention to keep you laughing all the way to the Hong Kong Stadium while supporting some great children’s charities in Asia.”
- Venue: Grand Harbour Hotel
- Date & Time: Friday 31st March 2023 – 12PM
Saturday 1st April 2023 – Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens
Hong Kong Scottish Sevens Breakfast 2023
HK Scottish are hosting a Sevens Breakfast at the Cathay HSBC Sevens with special guests – Jim Hamilton, Greig Laidlaw & Kelly Brown.
- Venue: Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
- Date & Time: Saturday 1st April 2023 – 8:30-11:30AM
You can also find out more here about the top tips if you plan on going to the Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens in 2023!
Sevens Rugby Events 2023
- 2023 Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens – Ticket Sales.
- HSBC Singapore Rugby Sevens 2023.
- The Best Social 2023 Rugby Tournaments In Asia.
- World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series 2023 Schedule.