World University Rugby Invitational Tournament (WURIT) 2019
The World University Rugby Invitational Tournament (WURIT) 2019 which is taking place during the Rugby World Cup in Japan has confirmed the match schedule and other events for rugby fans to get involved.
We first reported on the University rugby tournament back in February, when they were crowdfunding enough monies to enable the tournament to proceed. They easily reached their goal and were at over 125% by May 2019. In the end, they raised the equivalent of around 6,266,000 Yen (About $58, 900).
The organisers said at the time:
“With the money raised we will be able to hold events for the local children to come and practice with the international players coming to participate! As well as this, new seating will be arranged in time for the tournament.
Finally, an aftermatch function will be held thanks to the money raised, inviting all the players to come together and celebrate what we hope will be a successful tournament.”
WURIT 2019 Training Events
As mentioned, in addition to the main rugby festival, training events have been organised with the participating overseas rugby teams from the funds raised.
In addition, some of the teams will be holding training sessions which are open to the public to watch.
The teams from Canada (British Columbia) and South Africa (Cape Town) will be participating at Suginami Kuritsu Igusamori Park, while at Nerima Sports Park the New Zealand and the UK (Oxford University) teams will be at these events.
This youth-targeted rugby experience is for all ages and gender and the University rugby players will coach the kids on:
- Line Out
Location of the event: Nerima Sports Park, 2 Chome-29-10 Nerima, Nerima Ward, Tokyo 176-0001. Free Entry but limited to 200 youths.
Train Together with Rugby Players
Young rugby fans can get a chance to train with rugby players in events such as a Tug of War.
Location of the event: Suginami Kuritsu Igusamori Park, 4 Chome-13-12-1 Igusa, Suginami City, Tokyo 167-0021
- Date: Saturday 21st September 2019
World University Rugby Invitational Tournament
The main rugby tournament will feature 8 teams from 8 different countries. They are split into two pools of 4 and will play round-robin games which last 2o minutes each. It appears as if the finals will be played on the 23rd of September 2019.
The Waseda University Rugby Football Club are the hosts while University of Cape Town – Ikey Tigers Rugby Club from South Africa are the defending champions.
- University Name: Waseda University – Waseda University Rugby Football Club (Japan) *Host
- University Name: University of Oxford – Oxford University RFC(OURFC)（England）
- University Name: The University of Sydney – Sydney University Football Club(SUFC) (Australia）
- University Name: Siberian Federal University (Сибирский федеральный университе) (Russia）
- University Name: University of Cape Town – UCT Ikey Tigers Rugby Club (UCTRFC) (South Africa) *Previous Champions
- University Name: The University of British Colombia – UBC Thunderbirds (Canada）
- University Name: New Zealand Universities (Collective team) – New Zealand Universities Rugby Football Inc (New Zealand）
- University Name: University of Bordeaux (Université de Bordeaux) (France)
Schedule of the WURIT 2019
Here is the breakdown of dates for the World University Rugby Invitational Tournament.
- Monday 16th September: Opening Ceremony at Waseda University Building 14 Hall.
- Tuesday 17th September: Training at Nerima Ward Training Pitch/ Kami Igusa Sports Centre etc. Post-practice event with the local children.
- Wednesday 18th September: Match Day 1
- Thursday 19th September: Training at Nerima Ward Oizumi Sakura Park/ Kami Igusa Sports Centre etc. Post-practice event with the local children.
- Friday 20th September: Match Day 2
- Saturday 21st September: Training at Nerima Ward Training Pitch／Suginami Ward Igusa Mori Public Park. Post-practice event with the local children.
- Sunday 22nd September: Match Day 3（5-8th placing at Kami Igusa Ground)
- Monday 23rd September: Match Day 4 (1-4th placing at Kami Igusa Ground)
For more details on the venues and fixtures see the WURIT website.
- Date: Monday 16th – Thursday 25th September 2019
- Venue: Waseda Kami Igusa Ground, Yokogawa Electric Ground, Pitches in Nerima Ward and Suginami Ward, etc. (Japan)
See more Asian rugby tournaments taking place during the Rugby World Cup 2019.