Bangkok International Rugby Sevens 2022 Confirmed (Now Cancelled)
The organisers of the Bangkok International Rugby Sevens confirmed the 2022 edition will go ahead on the weekend of November 12-13 at Bangkok Patana School and it was due to be the 25th edition of the tournament!
Updated (21st September 2022)
The organisers posted in mid-September that the tournament has been cancelled:
“It is with great disappointment that I advise that this year’s Bangkok International Rugby Sevens Tournament is cancelled.
After a period of uncertainty, the tournament posted online, “We are Back! After a very successful week in Bangkok meeting with our suppliers & supporters, I can confirm that the 2022 Bangkok International Rugby Sevens Tournament is happening.”
We briefly caught up with the tournament organiser David Adamson about the latest:
Can you tell us how confident it will go ahead in November and what it means for the tournament?
David: Very Confident. We have the appropriate permissions & approvals in place. We have met with our suppliers & they are ready.
It is our 25th annual tournament so we are excited to celebrate this occasion.
What age groups/divisions will there be?
David: Men’s, Women’s, Social, Under 16 & Under 18 Boys. I am trying to establish a Women’s development grade if there is enough interest.
Are you expecting only regional or also international teams (do you have a target for how many in total?)
David: Historically we have had teams from across the world and of course SE Asian teams. This year interest is high from Oceania & Europe.
Our junior grades are experiencing record numbers registering from around SE Asia. We hope to have a minimum of 8 teams per grade but we can cater for more.
The organisers have said that they are updating their website and all registration information will be updated accordingly, claiming a “Significant number of registrations” have been received.
COVID protocols – Bangkok International Rugby Sevens 2022
Regarding the tournament COVID-19 requirements, the following will be required:
- Facemasks – to be worn between games and at any facility unless dining or drinking
- Team registration forms: with photo id of each team member & passport or Thai ID number
Other possible requirements:
- Daily ATK/RAT tests for every team member before entry to the facility
What the tournament will provide:
- Hygiene stations – handwash, spare masks
- Separated tent facilities per team
- Rugby Balls are sanitised between games.
You can find out about other 2022 rugby tournaments in Asia here.
Asian Rugby Matches & Tournaments 2022
- Korea sets up Hong Kong Showdown for ARC 2022 Finale.
- Japan Sakura XV Will Host Ireland and South Africa before RWC 2021.
- Kazakhstan Nomads Sevens – Challenger Competition 2022.
- All-Female Match Referees Take Charge of RWC 2021.