HSBC World Rugby Sevens 2020 schedule
The HSBC World Rugby Sevens 2020 schedule was released this past week, including the dates and venues for the Women’s and Men’s legs.
In March we outlined the plans released by World Rugby for the men’s and women’s World Series until 2023. Importantly this included some new venues, and a record number of events; 6 in total, will see the two series combine at the same venue.
In Asia, Hong Kong will feature the men and women from April 3-5 2020, while Singapore will host the Men’s Sevens from April 11-12 2020.
2020 HSBC World Sevens Series
- Women’s competition increases to eight rounds
- Six tournaments will be combined men’s and women’s events
- Los Angeles has now been announced as the location for USA men’s tournament, replacing Las Vegas.
Fiji won the men’s 2019 season while the New Zealand ladies are the Women’s champions. In terms of newly promoted teams, the Irish Men join in 2020 as well as Brazilian Women.
The women’s series will begin in Glendale, Colorado, USA on 5-6 October 2019. The Men’s series will kick off in Dubai, UAE on 5-7 December which will also see the Women’s Series join for the first of 6 combined events.
New location: Los Angeles, USA
Los Angeles will host the two-day event at the home stadium of the MLS side, LA Galaxy and the NFL’s LA Chargers. The venue, the Dignity Health Sports Park in California, is the same venue set to host rugby sevens at the LA 2028 Olympic Games. The USA leg was previously held in Las Vegas.
You can read more about the 2020 7s rugby season here.
HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2020 schedule:
- 5-6 October, 2019: Infinity Park, Colorado, USA – women’s standalone event
- 5-7 December, 2019: The Sevens, Dubai, UAE – combined men’s and women’s event
- 13-15 December, 2019: Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town, South Africa – combined men’s and women’s event
- 25-26 January, 2020: FMG Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand – combined men’s and women’s event
- 1-2 February, 2020: Bankwest Stadium, Sydney, Australia – combined men’s and women’s event
- 29 February – 1 March, 2020: Dignity Health Sports Park, Los Angeles, USA – men’s standalone event
- 7-8 March, 2020: BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, Canada – men’s standalone event
- 3-5 April, 2020: Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong – combined men’s and women’s event
- 11-12 April, 2020: National Stadium, Singapore – men’s standalone event
- 2-3 May, 2020: Westhills Stadium, Langford, Canada – women’s standalone event
- 23-24 May, 2020: Twickenham Stadium, London, England – men’s standalone event
- 30-31 May, 2020: Stade Jean-Bouin, Paris, France – combined men’s and women’s event
- 27 July-1 August, 2020: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, Tokyo, Japan
2020 Olympics 7s rugby
2020 is a very important year as the Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, will see the top nations compete for sevens rugby Olympic glory, with Fiji for the men and Australia for the women, the current champions.
Asia 7s rugby qualification
Japan as a host nation will automatically have its men’s and women’s teams participate in 2020 while the Asian qualifying tournaments will take place in November 2019. Hong Kong and China will be the favourites for both the men and women.
- Venue: Guangzhou, China
- Date: 9-10 November 2019
- Venue: Incheon, Korea
- Date: 23-24 November 2019
You can read about all the Asian 7s national team tournaments here.