World Rugby announces more tournament 2020 changes
World Rugby has announced a raft of new tournament changes due to take place in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
World Rugby Chairman Sir Bill Beaumont said: “We stand in solidarity with the global rugby family and people around the world at this exceptional and difficult time, and I will ensure we continue to do everything in our power to protect the wellbeing of the global rugby family and the wider public.”
Which World Rugby 2020 tournaments are postponed?
The following tournaments now have been postponed or under revision according to an announcement on March 20th 2020.
- Men’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series tournaments in London and Paris will be postponed, provisionally until September 2020.
- Women’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series tournament in Langford, USA has been postponed until later in 2020 (date TBC).
- Men’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series event has been postponed until later in the year (it was due to take place at the Cathay Pacific/HSBC HK7s which had already been moved),
- Some Rugby World Cup 2021 and 2023 qualifying events have been postponed.
Unfortunately, the World Rugby U20 Championship 2020 has been cancelled outright.
- World Rugby U20 Championship 2020, scheduled to be hosted in Italy in late June and July 2020, has been cancelled.
Which tournaments are under review?
The Olympic Games Repechage qualification tournament scheduled for June 2020 is under review. World Rugby is in “close consultation with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) regarding the implications for the qualification process in the event that the Repechage is unable to be hosted due to the COVID-19 outbreak.”
In the long term, World Rugby said: “Looking at a longer-term strategy, we are in continual dialogue with our unions, regions and the players’ association relating to the wider global impact on rugby activities, including financial implications, driven by government and health authority measures to combat the spread of COVID-19.
More Asian rugby news
- SANIX World Rugby Youth Tournament 2020 cancelled.
- The SCC 7s and COBRA Tens 2020 dates,
- HK hosts Women and Girls Rugby Conference 2020.
- How has Coronavirus affected rugby in Asia?